Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: August 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Kernel compile

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Kernel compile
From: Nate Bargmann <n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 21:17:58 -0500

On Sun, Aug 05, 2001 at 07:18:08PM -0500, Bruce Bales wrote:

> > No odd characters.  There were some 0A 09 places, where 09 is the tab
>
> character.  Tried taking them out and the blank lines.  Tried it with a
> new-line at
> the end and without.  Still says there is an error near the last line.  bruce

Just looking at my lilo.conf and it seems quite similar to yours.  Mine
is from a stock Debian 2.2 machine.  Here are the relevant lines:

# Boot up Linux by default.
#
default=Linux

image=/vmlinuz
        label=Linux
        read-only
#       restricted
#       alias=1

image=/vmlinuz.old
        label=LinuxOLD
        read-only
        optional
#       restricted
#       alias=2

# If you have another OS on this machine to boot, you can uncomment the
# following lines, changing the device name on the `other' line to
# where your other OS' partition is.
#
# other=/dev/hda4
#       label=HURD
#       restricted
#       alias=3

Tabs seem to be allowed as my file has them.

Final questions.  Are the kernel binaries named *exactly* as you have
specified them in lilo.conf?  I'm not sure (as I don't have the mail
with your lilo.conf where I'm at right now), but it may be that Lilo
doesn't allow hyphens in the label line.

Also on this system, /vmlinuz is a sym-link to /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.19 and
/vmlinuz.old is a sym-link to /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.18pre21.

I've had good luck with Lilo over the years including back when I
installed kernels by hand, as you're doing.  I've since graduated to
Debian a couple years back and its kernel-package handles all the gory
details like building modules and then puts it all into a tidy .deb
package file which I then can install using dpkg.  The install script in
the .deb takes care of running lilo for me as well as updating the
/vmlinuz and /vmlinuz.old sym-links so I can do other important things,
like read Linux Today! ;-)

Good Luck!

- Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "None can love freedom
 Internet | n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx               | heartily, but good