Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: August 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Setting locale in Debian

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Setting locale in Debian
From: Nate Bargmann <n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 18:01:37 -0500

On Sun, Aug 12, 2001 at 03:17:25PM -0500, John Reinke wrote:

> For the last few weeks, every time I install a package, and sometimes
> when I just run a program, I get the following error:
>
> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
>          LANGUAGE = "en.ISO8859-1",
>          LC_ALL = "en.ISO8859-1",
>          LANG = "en.ISO8859-1"
>      are supported and installed on your system.
>
> I've tried a few solutions I've found online, including reinstalling
> the locale package, but nothing helps. Any suggestions?

You might try adding the following to either ~/.bashrc or
~/.bash_profile (I source .bashrc from .bash_profile for those things I
wan to be common between login and non-login shells, aliases, etc.):

export LANG=en_US

I found that cleared up many locale related issues including special
characters in Mutt, Netscape, and Mozilla.

- Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "None can love freedom
 Internet | n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx               | heartily, but good