Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: August 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Setting locale in Debian

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Setting locale in Debian
From: John Resler <jmresler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 08:58:33 -0500

John,
        That is exactly what happened to me. I installed kdevelop and was
missing some
dependencies for the program, one of which was make version... The
locales program simply sets things like the format for display of money
eg: dollars, pounds, yen and the format for time ( AM:PM vs 24 hour
clock, etc. ). I know this is rather extreme but ximian-gnome has been
exceptionally stable for me and I like it a lot. If you're using gnome
already, it wouldn't be much to switch but if you have kde already
installed, just startx as root and use the kde desktop config program to
set your locales. It works or writes a locale file when you answer the
questions for display format for money, time, decimals, etc. I think
that would be the simplest way without installing any new software.

John Reinke wrote:

> For the last few weeks, every time I install a package, and sometimes
> when I just run a program, I get the following error:
>
> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
>          LANGUAGE = "en.ISO8859-1",
>          LC_ALL = "en.ISO8859-1",
>          LANG = "en.ISO8859-1"
>      are supported and installed on your system.
>
> I've tried a few solutions I've found online, including reinstalling
> the locale package, but nothing helps. Any suggestions?
>
> John

Beer, it's not just for breakfast anymore!