Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: August 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Setting locale in Debian

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Setting locale in Debian
From: John Reinke <jmreinke@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 00:29:18 -0500

>I realize as a linux purist, you're probably not running KDE but if you
>are, the settings (Desktop) will allow you to set locale. I had the same
>problem, but mine happened every time I ran make. I re-installed make
>with an upgraded rpm package and everything was fine. FWIW, the "C"
>settings is just the default settings and although the message is
>annoying, I don't think it really changes anything. Also, after a little
>more research, I found a locale_config program in /usr/sbin/ ( I run
>Redhat 7.1 with Ximian-Gnome as a desktop manager ). This program was a
>point and click app thats pretty simple to set. Might give it a try.
>
>-John Resler

I normally use a console when I log in as root. As a user, I use
Gnome, but I couldn't find the 'locale_config' program you mentioned,
so it must be RedHat specific.

I'm still not sure what significance the locale has in relation to C
verses en_US, and why perl gives me the warning even when I'm running
an executable binary.

Here's more info: this problem might have started when I installed
several KDE packages in order to run KDevelop. I think I had the
warnings before that, but I'm not certain. I don't think it replaced
my make package, but might be similar to what John Resler did.

Even if it doesn't hurt anything, I'd like to eliminate these
annoying warnings AND learn what I did to get them in the first place.

John