Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: December 2000:
[linux-help] Re: Have question about Slackware Linux 7

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Have question about Slackware Linux 7
From: Steven Saner <ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 12:46:42 -0600

On Tue, Dec 19, 2000 at 11:42:48AM -0600, Jesse Kaufman wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, Steven Saner wrote:
>
> > 2. I don't know of any free ISPs that support Linux. Generally you
> > need a standard dialup provider that allows a standard PPP connection
> > using PAP (or CHAP) authentication without any proprietary crap in
> > between. It strikes me that I have heard that someone was able to
> > crack one of the free ISPs mechanism and make it work with Linux, but
> > that would surely be against the terms and conditions of the ISP and
> > would probably get your account closed. As to cheap ISPs, define
> > cheap. Speaking as an administrator of an ISP, you get what you pay
> > for.
>
> does NetZero use "normal" methods or is it proprietary?  i know a lot of
> people that use it, but i've never really heard/looked...  personally,
> also being an admin, i would agree that you get what you pay for, and
> would definately have to suggest my fav provider: SouthWind! : ^ )  (yeah,
> i know, i work for a different one...  shhh! : ^ )

Someone else might have better information than me on this one. My
understanding is that places like NetZero take the standard PPP and
hack it slightly (I'm not sure how) so that it only works with their
dialup client. That way they can be sure that you are using their
client, so they can push the advertisements to you and be sure that
they will in fact be displayed. If you tried to use a standard PPP
client, such as pppd, I don't know if authentication would fail, or if
once authenticated, you wouldn't be able to transfer data because of
some proprietary hack. Again, someone else might know.

I think that a SouthWind connection, technology wise, is hard to beat
in Wichita (certain people, with certain modems, in certain parts of
the city might have trouble, but that is normal). However, if you get
a SouthWind account, be prepared to become an Earthlink customer
soon. Of the large ISPs, Earthlink does seem to be one of the
best. They have good customer service ratings.