Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: December 2000:
[linux-help] Re: Have question about Slackware Linux 7

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Have question about Slackware Linux 7
From: Jesse Kaufman <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 11:42:48 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, Steven Saner wrote:

> 2. I don't know of any free ISPs that support Linux. Generally you
> need a standard dialup provider that allows a standard PPP connection
> using PAP (or CHAP) authentication without any proprietary crap in
> between. It strikes me that I have heard that someone was able to
> crack one of the free ISPs mechanism and make it work with Linux, but
> that would surely be against the terms and conditions of the ISP and
> would probably get your account closed. As to cheap ISPs, define
> cheap. Speaking as an administrator of an ISP, you get what you pay
> for.

does NetZero use "normal" methods or is it proprietary?  i know a lot of
people that use it, but i've never really heard/looked...  personally,
also being an admin, i would agree that you get what you pay for, and
would definately have to suggest my fav provider: SouthWind! : ^ )  (yeah,
i know, i work for a different one...  shhh! : ^ )

> 3. You are probably right that no one will want a Packard Bell, but
> there are several used computer stores in town that could sell you a
> cheap used machine, and might even give you some trade-in
> value. Command Computer Surplus is one such place between Wichita and
> Goddard. Someone else may be able to direct you to others.

<sarcasm>ooo... i want a packard bell</sarcasm> ... actually, i have one
sitting right next to me that i wanted to play w/ FreeBSD on, but i've
given that up and turned it into a paperweight / computer-junkyard!
hopefully once i get my parent's old gateway (not much better), i can
finally use it! : ^ )

gLaNDix

--
Jesse Kaufman                           |       WebSurf Internet Access
Administration / Web Development        |       www.websurf.net

<<< Vim is a REAL man's text editor.  I don't know why anyone else would
    even bother with sissy programs like emacs, or even worse...  pico!  >>>