Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: December 2000:
[linux-help] Re: Have question about Slackware Linux 7

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Have question about Slackware Linux 7
From: Steven Saner <ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 11:36:36 -0600

On Tue, Dec 19, 2000 at 11:13:01AM -0600, Anthony A Bogardus wrote:

> Dear Linux-help,
>                                I have Slackware Linux 7 and when I
> installed it partioned the hard drive and I ended up with Linux and Win98
> on one hd. I only have about 140 MB left on my hd and it's only a 1.2 GB
> hd. Is there any way I can take off Win98 and only have Linux?
> Another thing. I use Juno Web as my ISP and it only uses MS Windows but
> it only costs $9.95 MO. Is there a free or cheep ISP in Wichita that uses
> Linux. I'd like to trade my computer in for a new one but it's a Packard
> Bell Pentium one and I don't think anyone will take it.
>                               Does anyone have any ideas?

1. It would be possible to remove the Win98 from whatever partition it
is on and use the partition for Linux. However, it might be difficult
to do exactly what you want. You need to give us a complete list of
your partitions, and what is mounted on each (entering the command df
in Linux would be a good start). Then we need to figure out where you
need the extra space to see if things can be rearranged such that you
don't have to just reinstall the entire system (which by the way is
probably what I would do anyway).

2. I don't know of any free ISPs that support Linux. Generally you
need a standard dialup provider that allows a standard PPP connection
using PAP (or CHAP) authentication without any proprietary crap in
between. It strikes me that I have heard that someone was able to
crack one of the free ISPs mechanism and make it work with Linux, but
that would surely be against the terms and conditions of the ISP and
would probably get your account closed. As to cheap ISPs, define
cheap. Speaking as an administrator of an ISP, you get what you pay
for.

3. You are probably right that no one will want a Packard Bell, but
there are several used computer stores in town that could sell you a
cheap used machine, and might even give you some trade-in
value. Command Computer Surplus is one such place between Wichita and
Goddard. Someone else may be able to direct you to others.