Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: June 2000:
[linux-help] Re: 3c509 problems

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: 3c509 problems
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 02:02:05 -0500

3Com 3c509's work great in Linux... the trick is getting them configured
properly, which must be done from DOS usually.  On 3com's web site you can
download the DOS config program... just boot into DOS (from a floppy disk
if you don't have DOS/Win installed on the HD), and run the config utility
to set the IRQ, DMA, etc.  Then remember (or write down) what you set it to
so you can tell LInux what to use when it loads the module (or put it in an
append line in lilo.conf).

On Thu, Jun 15, 2000 at 10:22:16PM -0500, james l wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a batch of 3com Etherlink 3 (3c509) cards, and I have not been able to
> get them to work with linux. I have used linuxconf, redhat's programs, and by
> hand, but I have not been able to get them to woirk. I don't think it is a
> problem with the cards, I put one in my sister's windows box and it worked
> fine, after getting the drivers. Has this happened to anyone else?
>
> James L

Floppy disk tip #2: Diskettes should be cleaned and waxed once a week.
Microscopic metal particles may be removed by waving a powerful magnet over
the surface of the disk.  Any stubborn metal shavings can be removed with
scouring powder and steel wool.  When waxing a diskette, make sure the
surface is even.  This will allow the diskette to spin faster, resulting in
better access time.