Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: June 2000:
[linux-help] Re: 3c509 problems

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: 3c509 problems
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 09:06:17 -0500

> 3Com 3c509's work great in Linux... the trick is getting them configured
> properly, which must be done from DOS usually.  On 3com's web site you can
> download the DOS config program... just boot into DOS (from a floppy disk
> if you don't have DOS/Win installed on the HD), and run the config utility
> to set the IRQ, DMA, etc.  Then remember (or write down) what you set it to
> so you can tell LInux what to use when it loads the module (or put it in an
> append line in lilo.conf).

There exists both a dos utility and a linux utility for configuring the cards.
The problem, however, with the linux utility is that it isn't able to set all
the possible paramaters in the card, IIRC only the IRQ. The DOS version will
enable you to set the base address, the IRQ, the media type, and turn on/off
some other features that help the card in a DOS world but are not needed in
Linux. The DOS utility will also allow you to run loopback tests on the card
itself to check out the internal functions.

FWIW, I've built a router using multiple 3c509 ISA cards.  It works because I
manually configured the the Base Address and IRQ's. When I load the module, it
auto detects the cards without problems.

--dwh

---
Dale W Hodge - dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Secretary & Website Maintainer - info@xxxxxxxxx