Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: January 2008:
[gopher] Re: Strategy: end of Gopher in Mozilla

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Strategy: end of Gopher in Mozilla
From: "Hugh Guiney" <hugh.guiney@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 08:53:14 -0500

Okay, so I'm not exactly current on these developments (last I heard this
was still just a "bug" in the process of being "addressed") but am I correct
in assuming that Gopher is out on only *official* Mozilla releases? If so,
are [Moz-hosted] offshoots like SeaMonkey?which is supposed to be less
memory-intensive and more feature-rich out-of-the-box than Firefox anyway?a
viable option? It's a little obscure, but probably a lot less so than an
entirely new client would be (not that I'm opposed to that idea, as it's a
project I myself have wanted to undertake at some point in the future). I
have no idea how the Moz dev community operates, but if it's a separate
codebase/more niche-appreciative crowd, maybe Gopher support would fair
better there.
Just a thought.