Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: January 2008:
[gopher] Re: Strategy: end of Gopher in Mozilla

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Strategy: end of Gopher in Mozilla
From: Chris <chris@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 18:26:34 -0600

From:
gopher://hal3000.cx/1/Search
I simply tried some searches and ran the same search through the four there,
The hal3000 jugtail (local), The hal3000 Multi Site Jugtail, The hal3000
Veronica and your V2 are all there 1 through 4 (in the UMN Gopher client they
are 7, 8, 9, 10 because it counts the info lines)
so it is easy with the UMN Gopher client to start at the first and go back and
do the second and so forth since the querry word stays in the search dialog box.
So you enter on one and querry "eggs" for instance you get 1 a pickled egg
recipe I have locally then you back arrow, down arrow, enter on 2 (my multi
site search) and get 42 results from all gopher land(mostly), then back arrow,
down arrow, enter on 3 (my Veronica) and you get 15 results(from what she
thinks is all of gopher land), then back arrow, down arrow, anter on 4 (your
V2) and you get 23 results.
"att*" resulted in , 2, 2092, 1316 and 10 results. the word "lime" resulted in
0, 29, 12, 9 results. It is how I do gopher searches and is very fast to be
able to use, what I am finding, as the largest collection of searches there are
out there on Gopher. It is interesting to see the results and how they differ
as it has been all along, my Multi Site Jugtail is getting better than my
Veronica and your V2 is still picking up some different things from what I can
find. Alot of the reasons for the differences may be because I hand edit my
list for such things as duplicate gophers with different cnames or not
including ones I find only have an html link saying "we are gone".
It takes me about 6 weeks in total from spidering, to going to each site , then
re-spidering and harvesting for both the multi site jugtail and the veronica.
There is alot of hand edited info. The results are interesting.
Chris

--
Join FSF as an Associate Member at:
<URL:http://member.fsf.org/join?referrer=3014>