Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: January 2008:
[gopher] Re: Strategy: end of Gopher in Mozilla

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Strategy: end of Gopher in Mozilla
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 12:36:26 -0800 (PST)

> > Other comments?
>
> I'm going to continue working and enhancing the WikkaGopher proxy
> (http://www.wikkawiki.org/WikkaGopher).  Wikka has a strong userbase
> among the more savvy wiki users (the ones who realize MediaWiki and
> the like are quite overbloated and heavyweight), and the idea of an
> easily-installed proxy module might appeal to some wiki operators and
> encourage others to set up gopher proxies.

That sounds awesome. If you get any public proxies together, we should be
collecting this.

Incidentally, the rbfh.de host I was concerned about is actually itself a
proxy, too -- that was where the activity was coming from (web robots
mistakenly crawling it). All is fixed, but more germane to this discussion,
we have at least two public proxies I know of and I'm sure there are others.

> I think a multi-targeted approach (standalone clients, FF plug-ins,
> proxies, etc.) is the best approach and utilizes the greatest amount
> of leverage within the gopher talent pool.

That's exactly where I'm at too. It's just making sure that we have a
measured approach for transition rather than a haphazard lurch.

Btw, writing a Mozilla *extension* (not a Core element) for continuing
gopher:// support is turning out to be easier than I had surmised. I
already have some rudimentary code together just hacking a bit during the
morning. It is very primitive, but some things are already working.

Before people ask why I didn't do *that* for 388195, the reason is simple:
if we could keep it in Core without having to require people get a plugin,
that would have been better. But since we're condemned to plugins for FF4,
might as well enjoy it.

  Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * ckaiser@xxxxxxxxxxxx
-- BOND THEME NOW PLAYING: "The Living Daylights" -----------------------------