Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: January 2008:
[gopher] Re: Strategy: end of Gopher in Mozilla

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Strategy: end of Gopher in Mozilla
From: Chris <chris@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 08:49:20 -0600

Opera through squid works quite well, however since I run my squid locally this
doesn't help. Jeff P and I had worked on gnetcat as a proxy run locally, but
gnetcat isn't a solution for MS people. Jeff Had some Mirc code for a proxy to
run locally as well. But in the long run, one might feel having a casual user
run his own proxy might not appeal to many.
Lynx has always worked well.
Having people run old browsers is an option, but since moz was broke
(bug 158888), might I suggest , if thats the path, to consider advising people
to use browsers that "do ports" properly?
As for a FF add-on I think it'd be nice to go our seperate ways.
But then your missing all these people who we (need?) to keep gopher alive.
There are by my count 107 gopher servers around as of 01/09/08,
(yes I updated the Multi Site Jugtail and Veronica recently to include them
all)
And we all know there is usefull info to be had and the protocol is decent
sound stable and simple. Maybe we have a chance to grow something that many can
use but I dont think we are going to loose the people we have already from
this. Should we on the list all take a head count of various browsers we use
first and see if maybe we are missing another option? I wonder do we want a
cross protocol browser? If so must it do JS and MMFlash? Does it need to run on
MS and *nix and ?? .
I don't know as a community whats the best direction...
I'll take the liberty of naming what I use here.

FreeBSD, GNU/Linux, GNU Hurd and variants:

Gopher (as in the gopher client)
Lynx
Opera (through squid)
mMosaic
Mosaic
BWGOR
Mozzilla and derivitives (the older port friendly ones)
Netscape 4.X

using dillo or browsex and others for the html-ized gopher servers or other wap
browsers for the wap served pages of course as well.

So whats best? A gopher client for gopher pages or a multi-protocol client? I
flip flop around so much I don't even notice and heck half the time I'm not in
X windows anyhow, so I like lynx and the original gopher client the most. Lynx
is available for MS . Would we perhaps just make a push towards that, and
further if you want an add-on or extension or widget or whatever little app for
each web browser of choice, if you just have it open Lynx it makes the add-on,
extension, widget or what have you easier to build. Maybe we can make something
out of what already _does_ work.
One other thought, go back in time to a browser which worked best, best on the
web and best in gopher (ports!) and take it and make a dev from that point of
development branching off with a commitment to Gopher and a (weaker?)
commitment to html. I say weaker to html because we probably wont as a
community have the resources to track development as fast as say FF, but we
could probably use their code! The license would have to be looked at depending
on which browser we decided on and from what point, but I would venture to say
it probably wont be too big an issue from a license stand point.
I think that when a project gets so big that it moves from vote based
prioritization to vote based acceptance for bugs you have a real problem
anyhow, so to me the least desirable way would be for us to remain dependent on
a large group that for the most part has no interest in our "niche" (and all
the other crap they stated).

My 2 cents
Chris
Happy Gophering!