Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: January 2008:
[gopher] Re: Strategy: end of Gopher in Mozilla

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Strategy: end of Gopher in Mozilla
From: JumpJet Mailbox <jumpjetinfo@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 15:46:11 -0800 (PST)

> - The IE-only crowd is lost. Those people will have to use a proxy, if
they even think of it.
  Don't write of IE too fast.  Anyone using Windows 2000 or earlier is stuck
with IE version 6 or earlier (do you realize how many people still use WIndows
98?!?), and that browser is easily patched to access Gopher.  Also, many
Windows XP users have intentionally downgraded from IE 7 back to IE6, and again
they can be patched to access Gopher.

  I see many PCs in my daily life, and almost all of them are running IE6.  I
also make it a point to take a few minutes to patch any machine with IE6 on it
that I encounter.

  I treat Gopher like a super-FTP, and mostly use it just for downloading
files.  IE works good enough in that capacity; so I rarely bother to use a
Dedicated Gopher Client, or even an alternative Browser (such as Lynx).