Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: January 2008:
[gopher] Re: Strategy: end of Gopher in Mozilla

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Strategy: end of Gopher in Mozilla
From: Chris <chris@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 11:31:52 -0600

> Yeah, it does seem iffy. However, do I take this to read that there is a
> gopher proxy option somewhere in the bowels of WinINet?

No , but perhaps in the bowels of my HD or Jeff's,
It is in mIRC script.

> Actually, my count is 153 (!). There is an impending purge but there are
> only around five or six suspects marked for deletion.
>
> Do note some of those are CNAMEs, of course -- I go by name because the old
> IP-address system the original Veronica used left a lot of indeterminate
> orphans.

I get 107 seperate IP's total.
Not every one (of the 115 found as initially good) was reachable over the two
weeks of harvesting so I used what dwindled down to 107, also some cnames were
included so mine and yours are probably quite close.
I did some comparisons again on some stock searches (between V2, Veronica and
the Multi Site Jugtail) and found the results interesting.

> In the short term, this is what *I*'m going to be doing:
>
> - Starting internal design on simultaneous FF plugin and a stand-alone
> executable. I'll christen my work "Overbite" and "OverbiteFF". The
> stand-alone is likely to surface first, and on purpose, so that people will
> know that such a client is available. The OverbiteFF plugin will appear as
> Mozilla 2.0 starts to gel. When I have something to play with, I will
> notify. I would like to use AIR, but I might use RealBASIC for a prototype
> instead since AIR is still beta, and migrate later. Whatever we do must be
> cross-platform (Windows alone won't cut it and I think we should have Linux
> support too -- and I'm a Mac bigot so a Mac OS X version is a given :).

Looking forward to it.

> - It appears that wanted-1.9 is off the bug, so barring a sudden burst of
> disingeniuity from the Moz devs, we can start publicizing to people that
> Firefox 3 will be the final version to support gopher and directing people
> to alternatives that exist now. JumpJet has their gopher client archive, I
> have my Public Proxy, anyone else?

I've a few for the DOS users under /Software/Dos/Gopher_Web_clients
I also considered running my squid for the public, the load shouldn't be too
bad. I dont know what the interest would be.

> All of us running servers should let people
> know of the impending change so that regular gopher users can be aware of it,
> but I think we should wait to start going public on it until 388195 has
> stabilized and the path is clear. That should be later this week.

Good idea.

Chris
gopher://hal3000.cx