Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: April 2007:
[gopher] Re: Mozilla bugs about Gopher, and a dangerous one

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Mozilla bugs about Gopher, and a dangerous one
From: JumpJet Mailbox <jumpjetinfo@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 10:13:24 -0700 (PDT)

Sorry Chris, I wasn't alluding to "Local Veronica" (or V-2, or even Jughead),
all of which are excellent tools.  I should have been more clear in that I was
refering to the no longer available non-local Gopherspace-wide Veronica, such
as what was once run on the now defunct UMN Gopher.  When I said "dead", I
meant that the software is not running on Gopherspace, and therefore there was
no need to make accomodations for it (and therefore as well, should it be
brought back again, it also doesn't have to meet any pre-existing parameters).

  ==========

  I am however wondering why the Port issue is such a hot spot?  Yes, I do
understand that in regards to Ports, NONE of the Ports should be "off limits".
If I want to run my HTTP server on Port 21 (the common FTP Port) instead of
Port 80 (the common HTTP Port), my software should not prevent me.

  Still, there are indeed several advantages to having software stick to
specific Ports.  The biggest advantage is the ease in configuring FireWalls.
By restricting the number of Ports open to the world (and it always mystified
me why they made so many Ports anyways, 512, or even as little as 256, whould
have probably been more than sufficient based on real-life Port useage
statistics) Network Administrators can more easily detect and prevent abuse of
their Network.

  Another advantage of having certain Protocals stick to a single (or at least
a very limited range) of Ports is the ease of which a Client / Browser can
detect a Server.  This is why there are millions of HTTP web pages operating on
Port 80 (or Port 8080) rather than on Port "X".  Non-technical persons who surf
the Web, typically don't want to be constantly appending Port numbers to the
end of an IP address.

  The standardization of Port numbers has been felt so important in fact, that
when you speak of a Protocol, you typically assume a specific Port (HTTP = 80,
FTP = 21, SMTP = 25, DNS = 53, etceteras).  IANA even maintains a list of what
they call "Well Known Port Numbers" :

  With only about 200 or so Internet Gopher Servers worldwide (and only about a
dozen still actively updated), why is using Port 70 such a hardship???
  Is it because of a imperative need to run Dual Protocol servers?  (GN will
let you serve the same content on two different Ports simultainiously, Port 70
and 80).
  Is it because a Legacy Server is already operating on a non-standard Port?
(Contact the Servers Administrator and ask them to switch it onto Port 70).

  It is indeed unfortunate that many Browsers that understand Gopherspace can
not recognize Gopher on a Port other than 70.  This is due primarily to
lazyness on the part of the software programmer (i.e., many Browsers such as
older versions of Internet Explorer).  However, even many of the older
dedicated Gopher Clients could only view Gopher on Port 70 (test this for
yourself by downloading and trying some of these older clients:
gopher://home.jumpjet.info/11\Begin_Here\Clients ).

  With such a limited selection of Clients / Browsers able to choose a Port
other than 70, why not just stick with Port 70??  Should a unique Server have
to operate on a different Port, the Server Administrator should just assume
that his Server will be of limited accessability as his patrons must
INTENTIONALLY use one of the very few Clients / Browsers that can operatate on
a Port other than 70 (not that undue a burden, as persons operating, for
example, a FTP server on a Port other than 21 also face the same issue in
regards to limited Client choices for their patrons).

  So, in conclusion; Why is operating a Gopher Server on JUST Port 70 such a
burden?

  Yes, continue to hound Client / Browser software programmers to allow their
software to operate on more than one Port (if only because the software SHOULD
allow this flexability); but at the same time operate our handful of Internet
Gopher Servers on just Port 70.

Chris <chris@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Actually Veronica is not dead, it's alive and well, right on the port it was
intended to be on.
It's port is quite appropriate for any millenium, any web browser which can't
handle ports is frankly past broken. How Moz acts, with it redirecting the
client to a different site while keeping the port looking as if it's where it
should be is quite unacceptable.
Historically speaking it is un-questionably proper as it is.
For the new millenium, why would you not allow the ports be used as they always
had?
Veronica-2 is very nice, and is a valid tool, just as is Veronica.
Chris

--
Join FSF as an Associate Member at:

 Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.