Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: April 2007:
[gopher] Re: Jugtail formerly Jughead

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Jugtail formerly Jughead
From: Stegozor <stegozor@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 08:19:48 +0200

On 4/10/07, Chris <chris@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I would like to announce Jugtail, some of you have no doubt noticed it on:
> http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Internet/Gopher/

:) Don't forget to add your sites if they're not already listed, and
also send me a copy via e-mail. Since the big crash, it's better to
double check such things.

> To my suprise Mr Stallman ask for Jonzys email address and just like that
> emailed him (I was delighted to be cc'd). How neat, for here was two people
> I really do consider hero's of mine discussing things like emacs and gcc and
> jughead and all :)

This man is definitely crazy. When I had switched to Ubuntu I sent him
a mail telling something like "thanks to what you did I can use Linux
today. One more switcher. We need crazy guys like you, you must have
been pretty alone when you started GNU but things changed a lot since.
Keep up the good work." All this with the result of vrms.

Two days later, guess what, he replied!. He explained that even I was
close, I wasn't free yet (some proprietary packages in Ubuntu). He
also explained why it was more fair to use GNU/Linux instead of Linux
(I always write GNU/Linux since). All this just for a user he never
heard about before, and all this in French!!! :)

Well, right now I'm under Windows Millennium again (a printer driver
issue, it killed synaptic and I'm a little bit lazy to reinstall &
repartition the whole thing, but gonna do it one day).

> As it was, it took a long time and alot of work, waiting and effort by
> people working behind the scenes, all of us unaware (myself included as my
> only involvment was to occasionally pester and ask if it was "done yet?").
> And now its preserved and free and now no matter what for ever salvaged from
> being lost. I think thats just great!
>
> Thanks Jonzy!
> Thanks Mr Stallman!

And thanks Chris!
Also thanks for having posted the story of Jugtail. The problem is
that it gives ideas for Veronica and Archie as well...

> Veronica is next?
> Perhaps we could in addition to saving such software as this, move to get it
> under the GPL. This way it would be further saved, I am refering to all the
> wonderful old software we collect.

I love the idea. If you have the mail of the coauthor of Veronica,
maybe this could be a beginning. I googled a little bit but couldn't
find the mail of phone of Fred Barrie either. Also, what about Archie?
Have a look at http://archie.icm.edu.pl/archie_eng.html ... Wikipedia
tells that there's no archie left, maybe this one is the last of the
Mohicans. Unless...