Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: April 2007:
[gopher] Re: Mozilla bugs about Gopher, and a dangerous one

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Mozilla bugs about Gopher, and a dangerous one
From: JumpJet Mailbox <jumpjetinfo@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 16:15:49 -0700 (PDT)

I disagree with your reasoning about port 2347.  Veronica is DEAD.  I feel that
doesn't matter what Veronica once did or did not do.  A revived Veronica,
Veronica-2, or any other future Veronica version should now run on whatever
port is the MOST APPROPRIATE FOR THE NEW MILLENIUM.

  In the 10 or so years that there has not been a Veronica, the world has moved
on.  We now know what works best, and what should have been done differently.
Here is a unique opportunity to do it correctly, and fix our mistakes (if
mistakes they indeed were).  If it happens to be port 2347, great.  If its port
70, thats great too.  If its some other port entirely, thats Ok as well.  What
is most important is that the port chosen is THE BEST PORT FOR THE JOB.

  V-2 works great for me on its current port 70.  I know that much of the
software currently available (be it a modern Web Browser, or ancient legacy
Gopher Client) has trouble if Gopher is not on Port 70.  Perhaps port 70 IS the
best port for a Veronica???

Cameron Kaiser <spectre@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  > As for having the search engines stick to port 70.
> First I disagree, thats not a gopher problem its a moz problem .

I agree with this also. :2347 was always the standard Veronica port. In fact,
it's non-standard of *me* to run V-2 on the regular port and I've even been
mulling over putting a mirror onto port 2347.

 Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.