Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: August 2005:
[Freeciv] Re: siege

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: siege
From: Brendon Oram <yautja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 19:17:32 +1200

Michael Kaufman wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 07, 2005 at 02:51:18PM -0400, Sam Steingold wrote:
>
>>>* Jonadab the Unsightly One
>>><wbanqno-IrLFYxOktEFfGaWA9+OTKt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [2005-08-07 14:16:13
>>>-0400]:
>>>

>>how about banning all squares that are closer to enemy units than to out
>>units?
>

> how about squares adjacent (or x tiles away) to enemy units?
>
> -mike

I've also been annoyed how difficult it is to starve cities on Forest +
River / Hills / Mountains with a cannon inside. Blockading harbours is
next to impossible after submarines with no terrain bonus, fortresses or
unit fortification for sea units.

But I think a simple pollution-like 50% penalty (rounded down) on empty
tiles adjacent to enemy units would be more reasonable. Represented by a
50% checkered red square or dashed outline on the city dialogue.

Probably a good idea to not give this ability to non-combat, air and
submarine units. Also only limiting it to land or sea tiles depending on
the enemy unit type.

(Sorry for my long absence, only 2 months of university left and I'll
get back to earning my keep.)