Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: July 2004:
[Freeciv] Re: Dirigible

To: Jason Dorje Short <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Dirigible
From: "Jim C. Nasby" <decibel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 14:41:45 -0500

On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 01:07:48PM -0400, Jason Dorje Short wrote:
> Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 05, 2004 at 10:11:27AM +1000,
> > nicholas.g.lawrence@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >
> >>Aeroplanes and Dirigibles of War
> >>by Frederick A. Talbot
> >>
> >>The first use of Dirigibles (actually balloons) was for observation.
> >>The balloon in this case was tethered and could not move at all
> >>(The tether was essential because it was also a communication
> >>link so the observer could relay information to the commander
> >>on the ground).
> >>
> >>So the first balloon unit was vision 2 movement 0
> >
> > Actually, not necessarily true. They were tethered, but they could still
> > be moved by bringing them back down and carting them off somewhere else.
> > It's not like they were all stuck at the factory ;P.
>
> According to the description they were basically ground units.  Any
> ground unit could destroy them just by taking the tether.
>
> However they'd be extremely vulnerable to fighters as well.
>
> jason

Ahh, good point. Seems like more reason to give them vis 3, since you'd
also need to defend them with a unit.

Actually, we're really talking two different things here. A tethered
balloon requires very little technology. Probably just physics I'm
thinking. Dirigibles should require internal combustion to be realistic,
and they should have an air movement speed instead of ground. Bombers
and fighters have 7 iirc, so 3 or 4 movement doesn't sound unreasonable.

As for transport aircraft, yes, the airlift capabality does simulate
that, but I think it would also be very useful to have transport air
units. Maybe allow them to carry 2-4 units? Speed should equal a bomber,
and the bomber's range restriction makes sense as well. Or maybe just a
plain 12 movement points and they have to end the turn in a city. Cost
80?
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Consultant                  jim@xxxxxxxxx