Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: July 2004:
[Freeciv] Re: Dirigible

To: Jason Dorje Short <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, g@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Dirigible
From: "Jim C. Nasby" <decibel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 15:15:17 -0500

On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 04:00:45PM -0400, Jason Dorje Short wrote:
> Jim C. Nasby wrote:
>
> > As for transport aircraft, yes, the airlift capabality does simulate
> > that, but I think it would also be very useful to have transport air
> > units. Maybe allow them to carry 2-4 units? Speed should equal a bomber,
> > and the bomber's range restriction makes sense as well. Or maybe just a
> > plain 12 movement points and they have to end the turn in a city. Cost
> > 80?
>
> There's a reason ground troops and equipment are carried on ships and
> not planes.  A fleet of transport aircraft should be able to carry at
> most 1 unit.
>
> jason

I'm not sure that's necessarily the case. I guess it depends on how
expensive we make transport aircraft. If you look at what a transport
ship costs compared to an aircraft you can buy a hell of a lot of
aircraft for the same price as one ship, so it stands to reason that a
transport aircraft unit would actually be a number of aircraft, and
capable of carrying more than a single unit.

If memory serves, a transport can carry 8 units; if a transport aircraft
is the same cost I think it's reasonable that it could carry 3 units.

Of course the only way we'll really know what's best is to get it coded
and try it out. :)
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Consultant                  jim@xxxxxxxxx