Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: December 2003:
[Freeciv] Re: map fairness test

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: map fairness test
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 14:40:52 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003, Horn G=E1bor wrote:
> Good idea. I think it doesn't depend on the pubserver admins, but the
> players. We'd need hundreds of exisiting good quality maps to use them
> w/o they became boring. If we'll have them (who wanna work on it?:),

I've noted that in all the RTS games I've played where pubserver-like
gameplay was offered, competitive games nearly always happened on a narrow
selection 2-3 different maps, even though hundreds of different maps may
exist. Knowing the map well in advance is a huge tactical advantage, and
nobody wants to risk their enemy knowing the map substantially better than
themselves. There is a lot of "safe bet" involved - everybody knows the
big 3 - so more people are likely to join such a map, while less common
maps draw less people.

  - Per