Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: December 2003:
[Freeciv] Re: map fairness test

To: Jason Short <jshort@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Horn Gábor <Horn.Gabor@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Lakatos Zoltán <lzcime@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: map fairness test
From: Yves Rutschle <yves@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 00:16:03 +0000

On Fri, Dec 26, 2003 at 12:59:57PM -0500, Jason Short wrote:
> One word: scenarios.  Pubserver should have a collection of pre-generated
> maps that are considered both fair and interesting.

I think that'd be quite different from a fair, random map: a
long-timer player will end up knowing all the scenarios
available, and be able to take advantage of every possible
bit of the map. Moreover, he'll be able to know where
exactly his opponent's resources are and possibly how to
best attack them. OTOH this cannot be done on a fair, random
map. (Granted, a player that gains that level of knowledge
will probably beat a player that doesn't have that knowledge
anyway...)

/Y