Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: October 2003:
[Freeciv] Re: new ranking calculation

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Horn Gábor <Horn.Gabor@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: new ranking calculation
From: Thomas Strub <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 12:58:59 +0200

On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 10:14:17AM +0000, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Jason Short wrote:
> > I also question whether alliances should be penalized in this way. When
> > playing a team game, obviously each team should be counted as a unit
>
> Scores are averaged for teams, so the winning team achieve a draw among
> themselves.
>
> > but I don't think alliances are the same thing at all.After all,=20
> > player E had the chance to join alliances as well; doesn't the fact that=20
> > he didn't do so mean he deserved to lose this game?Of course he may=20
> > have had little choice in the matter, but in the long term a good=20
> > diplomatic ability will be rewarded with a higher ranking.

It's not a matter of good diplomacy to say "Hey there is pille lets
gangbang and kill him."

> > Diplomacy is as important or more important than civ-building or war.=20
> > This is true historically as well.Why should the ranking system punish=20
> > diplomatic skill while the others are rewarded?
>
> Your idea, Jason, is going to encourage all other players to gang up on
> high ranked players in the game, to gain rank themselves. Not workable.
> Especially not now that CVS makes it much easier to do diplomacy.
>
> My first thought is that allies of a winning player should not be
> penalized by loss of ranking, but neither should it be possible to rise in
> rank by joining games and just opportunistically allying whoever looks
> like is going to win.

Players who are allied with the winner are winner in the game too. They
shouldn't lose points.

> Eventually, we should consider setting up a separate ranking ladder for
> duel games (premade maps, maxplayer 2, diplomacy off), and also one for
> team games (registered teams).

Think having extra ladders for duels, teamgames and ffa is a good idea.
(Duels and teamgames could count for ffa)

Thomas
--
Thomas Strub  ***  eMail ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
jb: people are stupid, they don't want to learn.