Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: October 2003:
[Freeciv] Re: new ranking calculation

To: Horn Gábor <Horn.Gabor@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: new ranking calculation
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 10:14:17 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Jason Short wrote:
> I also question whether alliances should be penalized in this way. When
> playing a team game, obviously each team should be counted as a unit

Scores are averaged for teams, so the winning team achieve a draw among
themselves.

> but I don't think alliances are the same thing at all.After all,=20
> player E had the chance to join alliances as well; doesn't the fact that=20
> he didn't do so mean he deserved to lose this game?Of course he may=20
> have had little choice in the matter, but in the long term a good=20
> diplomatic ability will be rewarded with a higher ranking.
>
> Diplomacy is as important or more important than civ-building or war.=20
> This is true historically as well.Why should the ranking system punish=20
> diplomatic skill while the others are rewarded?

Your idea, Jason, is going to encourage all other players to gang up on
high ranked players in the game, to gain rank themselves. Not workable.
Especially not now that CVS makes it much easier to do diplomacy.

My first thought is that allies of a winning player should not be
penalized by loss of ranking, but neither should it be possible to rise in
rank by joining games and just opportunistically allying whoever looks
like is going to win.

Eventually, we should consider setting up a separate ranking ladder for
duel games (premade maps, maxplayer 2, diplomacy off), and also one for
team games (registered teams).

  - Per