Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: October 2003:
[Freeciv] Re: ranking system modification

To: Horn Gábor <Horn.Gabor@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: ranking system modification
From: Jason Short <jshort@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 05:40:56 -0400

Horn G=E1bor wrote:
> Hi!
>=20
> W/ the current ranking if there's a draw at the end of the game (like i=
> #229419, u can check the log at
> http://civserver.freeciv.org/viewgame.phtml?game=3D229419) the player i=
> with the higher original ranking (Iuz) loose some points, and the other
> winner gets some (Donald D. Dumbsfeld). Is it only me who is surprised
> about that? I (and i guess these 2 players too) thought if it will be
> draw there's no ranking change relatively to each other).
> If u agree i fix it, and leave the difference of the rankings of the
> winners unchanged (their absolute value will increase a bit because of
> the AI looser, but that is very small and is ok i think) in case of a
> draw.

I think there is a distinction between a draw and a tie.

If two players agree to have the match a draw, there should be no=20
adjustment of scores.

But if two players battle to a standstill (e.g., a tie), then the=20
lower-ranked player has shown he can compete with the higher-ranked one=20
and deserves some point reward.

jason