Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: June 2002:
[Freeciv] A proposal concerning the game rules

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] A proposal concerning the game rules
From: LoD <lod@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 19:20:58 +0200

Hello everyone,

I have rediscovered Freeciv several months ago, when I downloaded
Andreas Kemnade's native Win port. I must admit that I am excited to see
the development of this game, which IMHO has much more potential than
its currently developed commercial counterparts. However, I have noticed
that little changes are made in the games mechanics - i.e. very little
new rules or features are added, gamewise. I understand this is because
most enhancements are made in the code itself to kill the bugs, and, of
course, I am no one to complain about it :). On the other hand, some
nice new things could be incorporated into the game, starting with
1.13.0.
Actually, I was thinking about one specific new possibility - the betas
introduce the ability to split the "terraform" and "build cities"
options into different units. I think this is great, a step forward. As
you probably know, the trend to split the Settler features into two
units was introduced in Alpha Centauri (which I enjoy very much). In my
humble opinion such a differentiation enables a more efficient use of
resources, as well as interesting restrictions imposed upon the player.
Take Civ3 for example - here the citybuild unit costs 2 pop points to
construct, this seriously limits small poxing, promoting a style of
expansion with fewer, better-developed cities.
I would like to propose to include this feature into the standard
ruleset of 1.13.0. There are several reasons of why I do this:
-it's feasible (tested it myself on 1.12.5-devel Windows port version)
;).
-as mentioned above, with certain unit settings, it reduce small-poxing.
-it would make it easier for the SMAC and Civ3 audience to be introduced
into Freeciv.
Here are several specific ideas on how to designate unit
characteristics:

1.
Settler unit:
shield cost: 50
pop cost: 1
upkeep: 1 food, 1 shield
relevant flags: Cities, AddToCity
Workers unit:
pop cost: 0
shield cost: 40
upkeep: 1 shield
relevant flags: Settlers
Engineers unit:
pop cost: 0
shield cost: 40
upkeep: 1 shield
relevant flags: Settlers,Transform

This is a "SMAC-style" variant. Notice that, despite the fact that
workers and engineers are cheaper and require no food upkeep, they
cannot be added to cities.

-----
2.
Settler unit:
shield cost: 40
pop cost: 2
upkeep: 1 food, 1 shield
relevant flags: Cities, AddToCity
Workers unit:
pop cost: 1
shield cost: 40
upkeep: 1 food, 1 shield
relevant flags: Settlers, AddToCity
Engineers unit:
pop cost: 1
shield cost: 40
upkeep: 1 food, 1 shield
relevant flags: Settlers,Transform, AddToCity

The variant compatible with Civ3.

-----
3.

Settler unit:
shield cost: 40
pop cost: 2
upkeep: 1 food, 1 shield
relevant flags: Cities, AddToCity
Workers unit:
pop cost: 1
shield cost: 35
upkeep: 1 shield, 2 gold
relevant flags: Settlers, AddToCity
Engineers unit:
pop cost: 1
shield cost: 35
upkeep: 1 shield, 3 gold
relevant flags: Settlers,Transform, AddToCity

Compromise variant. Workers are cheaper to build, both in pop and
shields. However, they cost gold to support (not tested that one yet).
--------
Of course with Freeciv and its prodigious customizability, these are
only a few of the possible combinations.
Unfortunately, a new unit will require a new graphic, but I don't think
this will be a problem. On the upside, the "Workers" string gets
localized, so no problem with modifying pot files (coincidence, or
destiny ;)).
Apologies:
-for the length of this post :).
-if this matter was already discussed, or was otherwise resolved. I
tried to find a thread related to the subject in the archives, but
failed (OTOH I may have overlooked it).
-for coming up, being a newbie, with such brave proposals :).

Regards,

Mikołaj Koziarkiewicz a.k.a LoD
Webmaster of the CivGuild
http://www.civguild.prv.pl