Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: June 2002:
[Freeciv] Re: A proposal concerning the game rules

To: LoD <lod@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: A proposal concerning the game rules
From: Per I Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 01:09:19 +0200 (MEST)

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, LoD wrote:
> On the other hand, AFAIK, most people make their biggest expansion
> during the early years, so, regardless of their strategy they build
> settlerss in small cities. However, I confess that I haven't played Civ3
> yet (which doesn't stop me from being the main webmaster of a Civ3 site
> ;)), so I don't know whether the way I try to enforce will actually do
> any good. I trust you have, or you have tested this paradigm on Freeciv.
> Or haven't you ;)?

I have played Civ 3, yes. (Big disappointment.) Not tested it in Freeciv.

> > Pop cost free workers will benefit vertical development a lot. But I think
> > the solution to smallpox is to tie science development tighter to big
> > cities instead.
> >

> Like a research point bonus for bigger cities for example?

My own suggestion is to double the effect of science buildings and also
double research cost. That way you must build at least some big cities to
participate in the tech race.

> Well, he was fast. It's already done :).
> http://guild.ask-klan.net.pl/freeciv/workergraph/
>
> Yes, it looks a little bit 'too modern', but after a second glance,
> in-game, it fits quite nicely with the other units. Comments welcome.

Looks ok to me, but I'm artistically challenged ;)

It would be nice with a 45x45 version, too, for r-hires and other big
size tilesets.

Yours,
Per

"It is difficult to catch a black cat in a dark room.
Especially if there is no cat there." - Confucius