Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: June 2002:
[Freeciv] Re: A proposal concerning the game rules

To: LoD <lod@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: A proposal concerning the game rules
From: Per I Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 22:57:43 +0200 (MEST)

On Sun, 16 Jun 2002, LoD wrote:
> Actually, I was thinking about one specific new possibility - the betas
> introduce the ability to split the "terraform" and "build cities"
> options into different units. I think this is great, a step forward.

I agree, and in my own private ruleset I use this feature. There are some
small problems in the AI with handling this, however. I've fixed one of
these issues in a patch that isn't yet committed, but to teach the AI to
limit the building of workers remains to be done yet. Sometimes it just
produces way too many of them. Still, it works, it is just not very
optimal.

> I would like to propose to include this feature into the standard
> ruleset of 1.13.0.

I would rather we added a new "experimental" ruleset where such ideas
can be tested before we change the default.

> 2.
> Settler unit:
> shield cost: 40
> pop cost: 2
> upkeep: 1 food, 1 shield
> relevant flags: Cities, AddToCity
> Workers unit:
> pop cost: 1
> shield cost: 40
> upkeep: 1 food, 1 shield
> relevant flags: Settlers, AddToCity
> Engineers unit:
> pop cost: 1
> shield cost: 40
> upkeep: 1 food, 1 shield
> relevant flags: Settlers,Transform, AddToCity
>
> The variant compatible with Civ3.

In my opinion pop cost 2 settlers are no fun to play with. I also prefer
to have workers that don't cost pop because that enables me to build more
of them and earlier.

> Compromise variant. Workers are cheaper to build, both in pop and
> shields. However, they cost gold to support (not tested that one yet).

Gold support for units is not yet implemented. I really should add a note
about that to the ruleset file. A patch to fix this will be much
appreciated.

> Unfortunately, a new unit will require a new graphic, but I don't think
> this will be a problem.

Unfortunately, it is a problem. Someone will have to draw it. I reuse the
Engineer graphic for my workers and that kinda sucks.

Yours,
Per

"It is difficult to catch a black cat in a dark room.
Especially if there is no cat there." - Confucius