Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: June 2002:
[Freeciv] Re: A proposal concerning the game rules

To: Per I Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: A proposal concerning the game rules
From: LoD <lod@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 20:45:25 +0200

> > Actually, I was thinking about one specific new possibility - the betas
> > introduce the ability to split the "terraform" and "build cities"
> > options into different units. I think this is great, a step forward.
>
> I agree, and in my own private ruleset I use this feature. There are some
> small problems in the AI with handling this, however. I've fixed one of
> these issues in a patch that isn't yet committed, but to teach the AI to
> limit the building of workers remains to be done yet. Sometimes it just
> produces way too many of them. Still, it works, it is just not very
> optimal.

Hmmm, didn't try it as far as to see how the AI handles it, and didn't
think about that actually.

> > I would like to propose to include this feature into the standard
> > ruleset of 1.13.0.
>
> I would rather we added a new "experimental" ruleset where such ideas
> can be tested before we change the default.

Point taken - see above.

> In my opinion pop cost 2 settlers are no fun to play with. I also prefer
> to have workers that don't cost pop because that enables me to build more
> of them and earlier.

Sure, that way growth gets hindered seriously, but at least it stops
people from doing exclusively horizontal expansion. The only other
countermeasure that comes to mind would be a v. high shield cost
(~60,70) for settlers - so early development is impeded anyway. So, how
about having Workers cost nil in terms of pop (as you suggest), and
Settlers - 2? The latter may slow down the game, but the former will
compensate it. And combined, they will encourage a more 'vertical'
aproach to empire expansion.

> Gold support for units is not yet implemented. I really should add a note
> about that to the ruleset file. A patch to fix this will be much
> appreciated.

And I really should have tested it before I started to discuss it :).

> > Unfortunately, a new unit will require a new graphic, but I don't think
> > this will be a problem.
>
> Unfortunately, it is a problem. Someone will have to draw it. I reuse the
> Engineer graphic for my workers and that kinda sucks.
>
> Yours,
> Per

Fortunately, I may be able to 'inspire' a friend of mine (who plays civ
games, and owes me one :)) to make the relevant graphics for trident and
isotrident. Possibly by the end of this work-week.

Cheers,

Nick