Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: April 2002:
[Freeciv] Re: Odp: Re: question: CivII like tileset for FreeCiv

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Odp: Re: question: CivII like tileset for FreeCiv
From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <bdbryant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 10:29:49 -0600

On 2002.04.13 08:45:56 -0600 Cameron Morland wrote:

> Humans can usually differentiate three colours (RGB), and combinations
> of
> these or colours between these give the range of colours we see.
> Red-Green
> blindness means that the human is sensitive to blue and red/green, ie
> they
> have only 2 points with which to specify a colour. You could probably
> emulate this with gamma-modifying software (I found one for Windoze,
> and I
> have in the past used one that shipped with Photoshop on the Mac).
> Just
> set the brightness of green (or red) to zero, and then see how clear
> your
> icons are (you probably should test it long enough to be familiar with
> them, or it won't be a fair test).

I'm red-green colorblind and I guess I should point out that things
like reducing to greyscale don't really help; that just removes
whatever color contrasts we *can* see.  For colorblindness you just
need to remember that the colorblind can't see a lot of contrasts as
well as you do, so you design tiles that contrast colors other than
reds vs. greens, and you also use light/dark "value" contrasts whenever
you do use a red or a green.  There's not really anything wrong with
using red and green for us; just don't use them in situations where
confusing them or failing to see the distinction will cause problems.
E.g., don't make two unit types that are similar in size/shape/value
and use only red vs green to distinguish them, don't display a red
symbol on a green background, etc.

Also, red-green colorblindness in some ways just means that we don't
see the red components of other colors.  I have trouble with
red-vs-brown-vs-green, but also with blue-vs-purple.

But none of the above is relevant to Marco's friend's problem.  As I
understood it, he simply doesn't see well, so he needs readily
distinguishable icons.  I assume that that means start by using large
tiles, and then distinguish them by bold shapes rather than by
details.  Color contrasts might help too, e.g. if your vision is blurry
you could presumably see yellow shirt and blue pants as "yellow over
blue", and eventually learn that that meant "dragoon" or whatever, even
if you can't see that he's holding a rifle.

I would also assume that a tileset for the visually impaired would need
to have reduced detail on the terrain tiles, since it adds up to a lot
of clutter that keeps the units from jumping out at you.  (FWIW, I
usually use the large and somewhat plain Engels tile set, but last time
I played I used the neotrident just to try it out, and it really caused
me a lot of eyestrain.)

I think the primary rule of thumb for good tilesets would be "contrast
along as many dimensions as possible", except that contrasting detailed
vs plain probably won't help people with poor eyesight.

Bobby BRyant
Austin, Texas