Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: July 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: FreeCiv and Call to Power?

To: Antti Salonen <as@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ½²«íµØ <iquin@xxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: FreeCiv and Call to Power?
From: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 14:21:18 -0500

On Wed, Jul 05, 2000 at 02:04:48AM +0300, Antti Salonen wrote:
> I don't see how changes in the turn system would make the game any heavier
> on memory or CPU. In fact, I don't think any of the details where Call to
> Power is better than FreeCiv are responsible for it being so bloated.
>   I just wanted to know if the design goal is set to be a Civ2 clone
> and/or substitute, or whether new games like Call to Power are looked for
> new ideas. I don't know how successful Call to Power has been commercially
> compared to the original Civ and Civ2, but it might be that in the future
> compability with the rules of Civ2 has little meaning for the majority of
> the users.

        Call To Power can be a source of ideas.  I'm not sure how many
people own it.  I bought a copy and have run it exactly once.

        Call To Power was not incredibly commercially successful.  Of the
three follow-ons to Civ2 (SMAC, CTP, and Civ:Test of Time) I think it was
the least well received.  However, Activision has announced a CTP2.

        Certainly the bizarre trade system of CTP and the fact that land
production values are 5-10 times higher than Civ2 will be challenging to
integrate properly.
--
Anthony J. Stuckey                              stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"And they said work hard, and die suddenly, because it's fun."