Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: July 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: FreeCiv and Call to Power?

To: 蔡恆華 <iquin@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: FreeCiv and Call to Power?
From: Antti Salonen <as@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 02:04:48 +0300 (EEST)

On Sun, 2 Jul 2000, [BIG5] ½²«íµØ wrote:

> >I've been playing FreeCiv quite a bit, and after a weekend of playing Call
> >to Power I've really grown to like some of its new features. The user
> >interface, on the other hand, is nothing short of a disaster, and the game
> >seems to use ridiculous amounts of memory and CPU time.

> Would this turns freeciv into yet another game which
> uses ridiculous amounts of memory and CPU time too?

I don't see how changes in the turn system would make the game any heavier
on memory or CPU. In fact, I don't think any of the details where Call to
Power is better than FreeCiv are responsible for it being so bloated.
  I just wanted to know if the design goal is set to be a Civ2 clone
and/or substitute, or whether new games like Call to Power are looked for
new ideas. I don't know how successful Call to Power has been commercially
compared to the original Civ and Civ2, but it might be that in the future
compability with the rules of Civ2 has little meaning for the majority of
the users.

-as