Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: July 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: FreeCiv and Call to Power?

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv users)
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: FreeCiv and Call to Power?
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 11:02:29 +0200

>   I just wanted to know if the design goal is set to be a Civ2 clone
> and/or substitute, or whether new games like Call to Power are looked for
> new ideas.

You can find ample discussion on that in the freeciv-dev archives,
and I think I can summarize it as follows: the goal is Civ II
compatibility *in Civ II mode*; anything else is possible as long
as it isn't the default in Civ II mode.  As a matter of fact, I
think Civ I compatibility is still a goal as well.  Backward
compatibility with earlier Freeciv versions seems to be less
important - things sometimes change in surprising ways between
versions.

This implicitly provides some direction for new extensions, for only those
things will be implemented that can be done as options in addition to
Civ I / Civ II behaviour.

--
Reinier Post