Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: February 2000:
[Freeciv] Experience and questions after some games

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Experience and questions after some games
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 18:16:46 +0100

Hello freecivers.

Thanks for the great game. I used to be an enthusastic Civ1 player
back then on the unforgettable Amiga playing Civ1. So I had to try
freeciv. After some games the following thoughts arose. (they are in
no particular order)
        1) Leader names: The game could remember the chosen or entered
                leader name. Maybe one choice per nation.
        2) Custom nation: The leader names and the city names can already
                be changed. But for a fully customized nation it would be nice
                to also change also the name of the nation and the flag.
        3) Barbars: It would be nice to disable the barbars from
                server/unithand.c:743 with an option.
        3) Cities doesn't update there stats when some external thing (tax
                rate changes or a unit, which needs support from the city, is
                disbanded) has changed. I have to force a recalculation, for
                example by clicking with the right button at the city in the
                mini map.
        4) There seems no way to find a unit. For example, if you search
                your initial explorer to ship it to the second isle. It is in
                one of your cities, but which one? The same with the ships
                after they haved finished exploring. A list or
                cycle-through-mechanism per unit type should be comfortable.
        5) Ordering: It looks like entries in the science menu are ordered
                accordingly to the untranslated names. Also the choose-nation
                dialog from the start has an odd ordering.
        6) After some games we realized that there usually a stiff
                competition for the A.Smith world wonder takes place. I found
                this wonder a bit too powerful. What is your way or strategy
                to compensate this wonder?
        7) Score: I have used civscore2gnuplot and while looking at the
                diagrams, I ask myself what happened at this time. Why this big
                increase/decrease? Is there an option to enable some more
                output? I would like to read afterwards when a player
                researched a tech and what tech and when he/she/it changed the
                government type.
        8) It looks there is no way to get the corruption from inside the
                city. Something analog to the pollution number should be
                helpful.
        9) An option per city to maximize production instead of food?
        10) An option toggable like the grid to show or hide the production
                of a city (current/full/rounds). Maybe displaying the city
                names can also be made an option.

So keep on improving this marvellous game. The AI is already
significantly superior to the one from Civ1. Which is good! (and sometimes bad).

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "I was dead ... but I'm better now."