Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: February 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: Version 1.10.0 is ready!

To: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Version 1.10.0 is ready!
From: Bill Turner <wildbill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 01:27:32 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000, Jeff Mallatt wrote:

Hi Jeff,

> Hello Freecivers.
>
> Version 1.10.0 is done!  It is available at:

I just d/l'd and installed it but can't play it yet.  I seem to be
having a problem that has me scratching my head as it doesn't seem to be
any rhyme or reason to it.

What happens is that sometimes when I try to start up the client - after
the server has been started of course - and using the defaults of
"localhost" and port 5555 - I get an error message about "host lookup
failure" or some such.  Doesn't seem to matter much whether I'm trying
to login with my system user name - or my "game name" (if I'm starting
up a saved game).  Doesn't like either of them.

Other times, of course, I try to start up my saved game and all goes
exactly like it should.

I haven't been playing FreeCiv very long - just since version 1.8.1 -
and haven't yet gotten bold enough to actually play on the net.  I'm
still working my way through the AI skill levels and learning as I go
and that's working just fine.

Except that the game seems to not know how to find "localhost"
sometimes.

I'm running Red Hat 6.1 with GNOME/Enlightenment.  Not sure what's up
and haven't seen anyone else mention it in here so I thought I'd best do
that.  Been just lurking for a while now. :)

Love the game btw.  If I knew that I could finish a game in an afternoon
I'd join in one on the net but have not a great deal of time right now -
have to work SOME time I suppose. :)

laterzzz

--
Bill Turner <wildbill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Carpe Diem Baby!  Translation:  Grab the day by the throat and beat it
into submission, preferrably with a shrink-wrapped, multi-volume copy of
"How To Study for Your MCSE Exam!"