Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14449) Citystyle names should use Q_() macro

To: evyscr@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14449) Citystyle names should use Q_() macro
From: "Daniel Markstedt" <himasaram@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 17:20:08 -0800

2005-11-30 kl. 05.40 skrev Egor Vyscrebentsov:

> On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 01:42:21 -0800
> Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> CK> > Here's a patch to solve the issue by making geographical group
> names
> CK> > nouns, while keeping city style names adjectives. It also
> renames city
> CK> > style 'Babylonian' to 'Mesopotamian' in order to separate it
> from the
> CK> > Babylonian nation.
> CK> >
> CK> > IMHO the most simple and elegant solution.
> CK>
> CK> I'm not sure it is. I still prefer a ?group: (or ?citystyle: for
> another
> CK> occasion) flag. It is pretty clear for translators. You don't have
> to read
> CK> the source.
>
> For this one can use TRANS comments (and I think that this can be
> right place
> for using them [rather than "Rare error"...])

This a much more convenient solution for the same effect. See new patch.

> CK> And you avoid overlapping of meanings that still may occur with
> CK> some languages.
>
> This is the main reason I voted for using those flags.
> Maybe we even should used them in every potentially danger [in meaning
> of
> overlapping] place. /* It is so easy to get 3-times overlapping
> in a short-term period... */

Adding these flags all over the place just to be pre-emptive about
localization ambiguity seems like too much work IMHO. I'll post a list
of strings that needs to be separated for Swedish localization later
on. A few units and techs that I have found so far.

> Anyway, I think that change "European"->"Europe" for groups is nice.
> --
> Thanks, evyscr

I'm with Egor that this is an improvement in itself. I'd like to have
the opinion of our native English speakers, though.

-Daniel