Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14449) Citystyle names should use Q_() macro

To: evyscr@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14449) Citystyle names should use Q_() macro
From: "Daniel Markstedt" <himasaram@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 19:18:35 -0800

2005-12-03 kl. 02.42 skrev William Allen Simpson:

> Jason Short wrote:
>> Daniel Markstedt wrote:
>>> I'm with Egor that this is an improvement in itself. I'd like to have
>>> the opinion of our native English speakers, though.
>>
>> Europe is a noun, European is an adjective.  Either is fine as long as
>> all such names use the same form (i.e., you also have to do
>> Asian->Asia,
>> Oceanian->Oceania, African->Africa, American->America,
>> Fictional->Fiction, etc; ancient/medieval/modern are probably okay for
>> either form).
>>
> While Jason is correct, to my eye the requirement is that the adjective
> must be used.  That is, the United States of America is "American", or
> more properly "North American", as is Canada.  Germany and France are
> "European".
>
> Again, this problem could be fixed by the server reading in the
> strings,
> sending them to the client with the Q_() and ?group: added in software,
> and the _CLIENT_ doing the translation!

I'm reasoning like this: The groups are only visible in the nations
selection dialog and are presented as labels on tabs. The tab "America"
is housing the nations on the continent of America. Adjectives were
appropriate in the old dialog where the group name was presented as an
attribute of a nation, though.

-Daniel