Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14449) Citystyle names should use Q_() macro

To: evyscr@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14449) Citystyle names should use Q_() macro
From: "Daniel Markstedt" <himasaram@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 02:21:04 -0800

2005-12-02 kl. 18.38 skrev Christian Knoke:

>> Adding these flags all over the place just to be pre-emptive about
>> localization ambiguity seems like too much work IMHO.
>
> It is not much work (see my patch), and it is necessary, because you
> cannot
> solve the ambiguity with comments. If you try, gettext will still
> create a
> single entry for all occurences of the item, so translators cannot
> differentiate if they want/need to.
>
> And then, when using a qualifier, you won't need a comment any more.
>
> Christian

I'm not against using qualifiers for groups and city styles per se, but
your patch add unnecessary clutter to all nation rulesets. However if
someone devised a system where we could define and give groups and city
styles an alias stripped of the gettext qualifier that individual
rulesets then could point to, then I wouldn't have any objections.

In any case, at this stage there are no ambiguity regarding city
styles. See excerpt from sv.po generated with my patch applied below.

-Daniel

#. TRANS: City style
#: data/default/cities.ruleset:75
msgid "European"