Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13864) Data: Kurd nation

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13864) Data: Kurd nation
From: "Daniel Markstedt" <himasaram@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 21:40:38 -0800

2005-11-15 kl. 09.24 skrev Christian Knoke:

>>> Another point is that there are no cities from turkey in, while in
>>> southern turkey there live lots of Kurds.
>
>> AFAIK the autonomic province of Kurdistan in Iraq is the only legally
>> Kurdish territory in existence.
>
> We should be clear with the distinction whether a Freeciv nation is a
> real
> one (an independent state) or not. Kurds are not. So there is no legal
> Kurdish territory.

Yes, there is in fact a legal Kurdish territory nowadays. The new Iraqi
constitution (ratified last month) recognize a "Kurdish Autonomous
Region" in the north of the country. See for example Wikipedia article
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurdish_Autonomous_Region

>> I don't think we should avoid adding more 'pseudo nations' to Freeciv
>> -
>>  If you try to make a clear distinction between nationality and
>> ethnicity, you will fail!
>
> This may be very true.
>
> Still, what you're doing here, is creating various Freeciv nations out
> of
> ethnicities. You don't flag them as 'modern', so this is basically OK,
> and
> adding new nations is not too bad.
>
> What I wonder (and I cannot actually tell because I'm not so historic
> biased
> as you) is on which base you make an ethnic a Freeciv nation. Ethnics
> change
> in time. Which time you lay as a ground for cities (territory), leaders
> a.s.o. Why this and not that? Some ethnics (like the Prussians in
> Germany)
> are very well assimilated nowadays, so if you choose the actual time
> as a
> base you will be just wrong. But which one do you choose? The
> identification
> with a nation/ethnic change in time, too. Ideally this decision should
> be
> made by people which have that identification. And if there are no such
> people, there is no reason to create a Freeciv Nation for it.

I have added nations from regions and eras that I thought was
underrepresented in Freeciv. From my subjective point of view that is.
The method of chosing cities and leaders depend on the nation, but I'm
trying to add relevant info and sources to the individual ruleset
files.

Of course it's nice when people add their own ethicity/nation, but I
believe an unpartial researcher can come up with quite good results
too. I typically commit a nation when I think it has a good enough
quality.

I won't force the Prussian nation, especially since I'm not sure it's
accurate. The original idea was that only one medieval German nation
(Bavarian) was a bit sad, especially when we had so many British ones.
But now there's being work done on a Westphalian nation, so that might
fill that space instead. :-)

Cheers
-Daniel