Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#13864) Data: Kurd nation

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#13864) Data: Kurd nation
From: "Daniel Markstedt" <himasaram@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 23:28:15 -0800

> [chrisk - Thu Nov 03 17:15:45 2005]:
>
> On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 07:44:54AM -0800, Daniel Markstedt wrote:
> >
> > Updated Kurd ruleset.
>
> I have headache with the mention of Abdullah Öcalan as a leader.
AFAIK he is
> the leader of the PKK.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PKK
>
> I don't think you can call him a leader of a national or liberty
movement
> and not at all a potential leader of the Kurds.
>
> BTW, the PKK have been one of the main suspects charged with the
murder of
> Olof Palme.

Ok, I agree Öcalan is a slightly too controversial character for
Freeciv. But hey, he would be in good company amongst all the mass-
murderers we have in our leader lists ;-)

So perhaps he should be removed and the list be expanded with non-
controversial names instead.

> Another point is that there are no cities from turkey in, while in
southern
> turkey there live lots of Kurds.

AFAIK the autonomic province of Kurdistan in Iraq is the only legally
Kurdish territory in existence.

> In general, I think that adding a various number of ethnics
as 'pseudo'
> nations to Freeciv is rather political hot. While support for ethnic
> identification is probably ok in general, we should maybe more
sensible with
> this; this might support playing the national card as well. The
experience
> with several european wars in the last two decades should kept as
warning
> IMHO. Please excuse me if the expression of my thoughts here is
> insufficient.

I don't think we should avoid adding more 'pseudo nations' to Freeciv -
 If you try to make a clear distinction between nationality and
ethnicity, you will fail! We just have to be extra careful about
selecting cities and leaders so that we don't become accused of
supporting terrorists or controversial separatists.

> So, what I suggest is, not force this, until there is public
interest. We
> have a great number of nations now, not at last with the help of
your good
> and skilled work.
>
> Christian

I'll put the Kurd nation on hold for now. Generally because the
situation in the region is as unstable as it is, making it difficult
to be impartial, and specifically because the flag is banned in
several countries (i.e. Iran and Syria). Let's avoid making Freeciv an
outlawed piece of software.

-Daniel