Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12806) idea: harsh climate generator

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12806) idea: harsh climate generator
From: "Brian Dunstan" <bdunstan149@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 17:16:25 -0700

--- Benoit Hudson <bh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 03:38:45PM -0700, Jason
> Short wrote:
> > > Also: I have noticed that sometimes the river
> > > generator will move a river from a non-hill
> square
> > > (e.g. jungle), to a hill sqare, and then off
> again.
> > > This seems to defy common sense.  I think it is
>
> Why does it defy common sense?  I usually think of
> it as a river moving
> from high hill to plateau to lower hills; and I
> fairly like it -- it
> allows for very desparate survival as Jason points
> out.
>
> I suppose desparate survival might be seen as a
> negative to some people.
>
>         -- Beno�t

Usually in such a situation in geology, the plateau
you mention is lower than either of the two ranges of
mountains, but higher than sea level.  What happens is
that the river either cuts through the lower range of
hills, or forms a lake behind them.  Maybe when a
river is shown going through a hill in freeciv, it is
intended to depict a ravine, I don't know.  A ravine
looks different than a river that is moving close to
the full elevation of the hills.

I thought of three possible changes:

1. Turn  the place where the river cuts through the
lower hills into something else.  This would still
leave river+hill squares upstream, in the high range
of hills.

2. If there is a way to reach ocean without going
through any hills, the river generator should have
done this.  Therefore, the plateau sqare is bounded by
hills and mountains.  Leave the hill square as is, and
turn some part of the plateau into a lake.

3. Give some hint to the graphics side of things that
this is river cutting through highlands, not flowing
over them, and have it paint a slightly different
image, to reflect this.