Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12719) Automaticaly generated techtree diagram

To: mstefek@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12719) Automaticaly generated techtree diagram
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 18:30:20 -0700

Benoit Hudson wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 02:51:33PM -0700, Jason Short wrote:

>>For reasons that may become apparent in the fullness of time, I think it
>>should be called a reqtree not a techtree.
>
> Gameplay effect: now I can get Stealth yet still have Leonardo's to
> upgrade all my planes.  Not clear this is a problem.
>
> Unrelated, but it's probably a bug that you can get Stealth without
> Flight.

In case I wasn't clear before, the ruleset changes (the second patch)
are just a shot in the dark, not intended for committing.  However if
you look at the techtree you'll see there are several bottlenecks in
research.  This is probably bad because it means the areas of research
are too interconnected, and also because with the crazy
squared-ancestors method of calculating research we have now it means
the costs of techs does not grow in a consistent manner (techs with two
prereqs are up to or over 4x more expensive than their ancestors, but
techs with one prereq are a little more than 1x more expensive).

Once the techtree diagram itself is in CVS the rules people will be able
to play around with this stuff and get quick feedback by looking at the
diagram.

jason