Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12719) Automaticaly generated techtree diagram

To: mstefek@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12719) Automaticaly generated techtree diagram
From: "Benoit Hudson" <bh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 10:21:33 -0700

On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 09:02:30AM -0700, Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa wrote:
> I like the idea, but I think this should be a GTK+ widget. Then we could
> submit this to GTK+ proper.

Presumably we'd want to keep our version for older GTK and for other
platforms though.

The gold standard for this kind of application is the work by the good
folks at AT&T (http://www.graphviz.org/).  It can be used as a library,
which explains the various front-ends (grappa and tcldot); it provides
various GD algorithms, including Sugiyama.  I don't recall if it
provides an orthogonal hierarchy-drawing tool.

To play around with more graph-drawing algos you can use the graph
drawing server, if it's still up:
    http://loki.cs.brown.edu:8081/graphserver/gds/gds-home.shtml

        -- Benoît