Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#12713) Crash on Windows 98 Build (running Windows ME)

To: scott.watkins@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#12713) Crash on Windows 98 Build (running Windows ME) - Is anyone testing this platform?
From: "James Canete" <use_less@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 11:20:55 -0700

I'm sorry about not responding about this, but (I'm pretty sure) this
bug has been around since before I became the win32 maintainer, and I've
still got no clue where it goes wrong.

The whole reason I put exchndl.dll into the packages was because of this
bug, and bugs like it, but as you can see from the RPT files, on the
systems freeciv crashes on it ends up not giving any useful information
anyway.  The stack trace doesn't even mention any freeciv code.

This either means that the systems it's run on are incapable of giving
good stack traces, or there's some sort of stack corruption going on,
which is an tricky thing to deal with.

I'm inclined to think it has something to do with the comctl32.dll
versions, as I never see this bug on WinXP.  I don't have access to a
WinME machine, so I can't test anything on it myself.

Regarding the xwindows on win32 client, IIRC that's actually gui-xaw
running on a win32 X server.  I haven't tried compiling it myself, but I
doubt it's better than the gtk2 client.

-James Canete