Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12719) Automaticaly generated techtree diagram

To: mstefek@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12719) Automaticaly generated techtree diagram
From: "Peter Schaefer" <peter.schaefer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 02:42:32 -0700

On 4/13/05, Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Are you really going to change the rules because the tree graph doesn't fit
> in the window?

This was my thought too. Also, when people change the techtree, they
will probably add to it instead of simplyfying it, so the graph needs
to cope with it somehow anyway, either by scrolling or a subgraph.
Can't the window be resized for bigger screens anyway(e.g. I updated
my monitor driver to have bigger screen ;-))

For example, Hirisovs extra middle age ships might use an additional tech.

You are right that to have many bottlenecks is boring, but in a game
with stolen and traded technologies, even skipped technologies can
turn out to be useful. Changing the tech tree is dangerous business,
since it is very tempting to turn magnetism into a space-age tech
simply to change the one-strategy of small pox islands gen.