Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12271) RFC: allowing more players

To: bh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12271) RFC: allowing more players
From: "Thomas.Strub@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Thomas.Strub@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 02:35:27 -0800

Zitat von "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> On Fri, 25 Feb 2005, Jason Short wrote:
> > Benoit Hudson wrote:
> > > Am I the only one who wants lots-of-player games?Is anyone interested
> > > in helping development?
> >
> > Seeing as 30 hard AIs are too easy, I suppose it would be nice to have
> > the possibility for larger games.
>
> Make the AIs harder then. I'd hate to receive "AI is too slow" reports
> from players who play with 60+ AIs and think this should work smoothly.
>
> In any case, the difficulty has little relation to the number of AIs, but
> to the degree they cooperate. You can have any number of non-cooperating
> AIs and the difficulty would be unchanged. In fact, since the AIs will be
> stepping on each other's toes all the time, adding more AIs may reduce the
> overall difficulty, rather than increase it. We should aim that the
> hardest single-player match is a one-on-one vs an 'impossible' difficulty
> level AI.

Correct.

> If you want, I can make a patch for such a difficulty level AI, where the
> AI starts with twice the startunits amount of units and researches faster.

That AI will still be beatable, because it does not beat the exponential growth
at a higher level from an excellent player.

A good working strategy would be expand as fast as possible and produce the AI
out through monarchy.

Civ I made AI harder with lower rates for production, free wonders and cheaper
research.
When we start real cheating for AI (or create handicap levels) i think making
all values configurable for every player should be considered.

Starting Units,
Tile Output,
Tech Cost,
Cost for units/improvements (in gold/shields),
Unit strengh (Attack/Defence/Moves)
Cityradius
Veteran Levels
Boni for governments