Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#11038) AI Use of Explorers

To: edearl@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#11038) AI Use of Explorers
From: "Benoit Hudson" <bh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 08:03:36 -0800

> [edearl@xxxxxxxxxxx - Tue Nov 16 13:59:28 2004]:
> I considered that they were defenders. However, all go to the same city,
> and do not move to protect cities in potential danger. If they are to be
> used as defenders, they should be moved to protect cities near to
> foreign cities. Often, these excess settlers are in an interior city
> that is unlikely to be attacked until late in the game.
>
> It's good that code has already been written, and partly debugged to
> make use of the settlers :)

Wasn't there also a recent ticket (which I can't find) saying explorers
never requested ferries to unexplored islands?  This might fix the
problem, as long as there's ferries to build, and land to explore.

Otherwise, this just argues for code to move defenders around, which I
gather doesn't currently exist, but is on the wishlist.