Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#11038) AI Use of Explorers

To: edearl@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#11038) AI Use of Explorers
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 05:08:35 -0800

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004, Ed Earl Ross wrote:
> After AI explorers have finished exploration and having found nobody
> else on their island, the explorers go to a city and stay there
> forever--never to be used again. A better use of these expended
> explorers is to use them to hasten building additional settlers, in
> cities that produce settlers slower than population increase.

Yes, quite possibly. I added code to that effect some time ago, but
removed it since it was buggy - explorers were disbanded when stopping in
a city on its way through to explore somewhere else. But now we have info
in aidata that tells us if we have explored our continent fully, so we can
avoid this problem.

However, I do not agree the explorers are entirely useless. They are free
defenders :)

  - Per