Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9706) Wishlist: Change homecity without visiting i

To: marko.lindqvist@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9706) Wishlist: Change homecity without visiting it
From: "Christian Knoke" <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 04:00:56 -0700

On Sun, Aug 15, 2004 at 01:53:45AM -0700, Marko Lindqvist wrote:

>   I see no point in moving units from city they are garrisoned in to
> another city and back just in order to make other city to pay its
> upkeep. Micromanagement.
>
>   When unit wants to change its homecity, client should just popup
> dialog listing players cities (can we reuse city report here?) so new
> homecity can be selected.

This is not just micromanagement, this is a rule change. If there are no
railroads all over, then you need time and MP to change homecity. If it were
possible to change homecity all the time, you can easily avoid not only lack
of shields or food in a city, but also unhappiness caused by units in the
field.

Even more, it lacks some reality aspect ...

>   So far I have looked into server code and found out that it does not
> force curernt rule, its just client that requests homecity changes only
> when unit is in that city. Attached patch fixes server end in this
> respect. I'm sending it separately in case this new feature gets
> rejected; current behaviour should still be fixed.

Great.

Christian